Friday, July 31, 2009

What can I say - It's been a while!



I dont know how it happens, sometimes things just fall into your lap - I was aware of the new Southpoint range but hadn't really thought too much about getting one, no need the Naish is just so good. Having said that I had been thinking about a board that would be just a fraction easier in chop. I didn't want to loose any surfability or add too much length, just keep the nose a bit wider and possibly add a little more glide. You can tell that I had not given too much thought to it.

I was eyeing up the new Naish / Kalama Nalu boards, but that element of the unknown and the opportunity to try out another shaper revs me up a bit . So in a moment of madness I pulled the trigger on a new Southpoint Bonga Perkins 9'6" fish. I have to admit one of the things that turned me on to it was the price. £619 for a new board with a bit of Bonga pedigree about it - can't be bad in fact I reckon thats bloody good value providing it floats!!!

The full story on the Bonga fish Width: 28 7/8”

Thickness: 4”
Fin-Setup: 2 +1 w/FCS side
Fin Set: 7 1/2'' Schaper center, FCS GX sides
Includes: Deck pad, handle

Step deck rails and the bigger brother of the 9'er and the smaller sibling of a 10'r and a 10'6 fish

The 10' Bonga Southpoint always intrigued me with it's stepped rails but I have to admit - I always thought it looked a bit naff at least in my opinion (that does make me sound like a bit of a tart?). I have never ridden one just gathered 2nd and 3rd hand from web reviews that it was pretty loose and my BK Pro was already a bit of a handful, plus I had progressed to sub 10'.

Anyway - instant decision and what you see above should be with me by the the end of next week.

2 comments:

NC Paddle Surfer said...

Wow, that is a hot looking board. I did not know it existed.

csx355 said...

Hey Dwight. I'm looking forward to it - totally different from everything else I've had. I'll keep you posted.